
Like many of you I do not have the space for a big or regular type design wall.....I solved that today with the help of a bit of self adhesive velcro and a cheapy $7.00 twin size blanket from my local Wal-Mart.What I did was to cut 2" strips of the loopy side of the velcro and place them on the door frame of the closet in my sewing room, then I proceeded to hang the blanket on the door. I stretched it a bit so it would be taunt and "Voila....Instant design wall!" I trimmed the blanket to the size of my door and now I have the perfect place to 'try out' my blocks. It's an easy job to pull the blanket off the velcro strips to get into the closet, and there are no nails or hooks to damage the woodwork. This would work well on the back of any door also.

The cute quilt you see on my new design wall is a kitty quilt for my daughters cat 'Lucky'. Since my own cat 'Duke' will only lie where I place his little quilt my daughter asked if I could make one for 'Lucky'...I had some scraps of fabric left over from my Valentine project and decided to use it along with a bit of pink gingham, I framed it in black. It's not finished yet but I do believe that 'Lucky' will love her blanky. I will just back the little quilt with some fleece and machine quilt in the ditch to finish it off. I have all sorts of scraps of fleece left over from my Christmas projects, so I guess you could call this little quilt a "Freeby".
Having a bit of fun with this as it's too darn cold to do anything else but to stay put. That always means me and my 'pet' projects. (Sorry for the pun but I couldn't resist...*LOL*).....
~~Fran...:c)

7 comments:
What a clever idea and not expensive either..
I know all about staying in and staying warm. Thank goodness we have hobbies to keep us busy.
wow...thanks Fran!! This is a brilliant idea!! I have so been wanting a design wall, but wasn't sure how I wanted to do it. This is perfect.....I know I have some velcro and I know I probable have a blanket....nope..scratch the blanket...it needs to be white or cream right....will have to shop for that. This is great AND do-able. The kitty blanket looks 'kitty cute' too!
Thanks for the idea Fran. Did you use a fleece or felt blanket? I love that your 'wall' is removable.
Hi Mom, Thank you so much for the quilt for Lucky, I can't wait to see it finished. It is going to be so cute and I know she is going to love it. Maybe we will be able to keep her off of our quilts and manage the shedding fur somewhat better. She is "Lucky" to have a Nana like you.
Lots of Love
Deb
That was a cheapy acrilic blanket...you know...the label says undetermined fibers or something along that line, anyway it's kind of stiff and 'carboardy'...is that a word?...LOl
Hopes that helps.
~~Fran...:c)
Fran - email me! katyejones@hotmail.com
I added your blog to the list for the giveaway - if you email me I'll talk you through putting the blog button on your sidebar x
Congrats on getting your cat to actually sleep on his quilt! Those are darling. Hate to tell you but we were in the 70's today. I feel for you after being in IN last week. Sure like this beautiful weather we are having, however.
Post a Comment