Monday, November 3, 2008

Catching up

I'm going to try once more to catch up. I've just spent the better part of an hour on this blog, downloading pictures and what have you only to be booted off twice. If this doesn't make it through, I quit. I'm really talking to myself here of course, because if it doesn't make it through, you won't know will you?...he-he-he-he-...I think I'm loosing it!

For the past 2 weeks I will list the things I've been up to and then give you a pictorial of it all.

Halloween....made 2 cute loot bags for granddaughters, carved pumpkins with them and their mom and their Papa. After all if your going to make memories those are the best kind. Daddy and big brother couldn't be with us as they were away at school.

Last Sunday it was announced in the pulpit that we are having a Christmas Tea on the 6Th of December, and could the ladies of the quilt bee please put together a few things for it. (Would have been nice if this announcement had been given back in July). So.....we collectively , and I are up to our arm pits in making, table runners and place mats, aprons, oven mitts and potholders, 'hot' pads for pots, filled with cinnamon and all spice, so that when your put you hot pot on it, the nice smells permeate the room. There will be tea cozies to make, and 'bag' holders, and hand towels for the kitchen, (the ones you cut in half and either crochet or make a top to tie to either the cabinet door or the oven door), dishcloths to knit and pin cushions to make....etc...etc...etc.. I'm sure a few more items will come up at the last minute.

Christmas gifts, I committed myself to making a pillow quilt for each of my family members for a gift for Christmas. When I say committed, I mean committed. $300.00 committed, as all the fabric has been chosen and bought. I have 2 made. The pattern says that these pillow quilts can be made in about 3 hrs. AH!.....I would like to meet the whizz who can throw one of these together in 3 hrs. Not me. I failed pillow quilt 101. It takes me at least a day or a day in a half, depending on how much detail I want. But they are truly beautiful and my family will love them. A very kind lady blogger from the great state of Texas sent me the pattern and 2 beautiful pieces of fabric. Thank you Jan. Two down 17 to go. My family is banned from this blog , by the way...lol

Red work...this past week a very dear old friend came and asked for my help in putting together her red work quilt top she embroidered. She's 82, and a real darling, how could I refuse. We finished putting the top together on Friday night.

Doggie coats...my beloved son e-mailed me and asked if it would be possible for me to construct 2 winter dog coats for his two German Shepherds who are outside all winter. It can get pretty cold even with a good insulated kennel. Remember, he has no idea that is mother is up to her ...in the swamp with alligators, and that those alligators are snapping at that same ...What do I say? Uh...not this week son, maybe by the end of the month. Pray it doesn't get to cold up here by then.

Church...Ive been asked to be part of a very special committee and I feel it is important, and to which I am very much committed so setting my ducks in a row, this must be front and foremost. No ifs ands or buts.

Quilt Guild...Today was the first Monday of the month. This is the day our guild meets. Every month since it's beginning. We have a membership of 45. We were all asked if today we could donate some of our time and bring some extra few yards of fabric to make pillow cases for the Women's Shelter for Christmas. Ten showed up, 4 went home early. Was I angry? No, but I was disappointed in those ladies. A few may have had prior commitments, or maybe they were sick or had migraine, but give me a break, all 35 of them? I was asked if I would be vice president of this guild, but I don't think I will accept. As I said, I have to get my ducks in a row, and they are family, church, doggies and guild, and guild stands last right now.


Now I promised some photos and here they are.... you can figure out the pillow quilts, one is for a granddaughter and one is for a grandson.....


Now before this thing hiccups again I'm going to sign off and continue the pictorial in another post
~~Fran...:c)

5 comments:

Donna said...

I only did one quillow, but was assured that it'd be easier the second/third time... Good lick with your committments. I'm tired out just reading them.

Kathy said...

Oh my gosh -- YOU HAVE BEEN BUSY! I love the pictures. The pillows are so cute and the redwork. Love it.

Kathy said...

Oh my gosh -- YOU HAVE BEEN BUSY! I love the pictures. The pillows are so cute and the redwork. Love it.

Anonymous said...

I love the quilts!!!
Good luck on getting everything done.. you're braver then me.

Jan said...

You go GIRL!!! You did good on those pillow quilts. Love the fire fabric. Believe me they will get easier the more you make. I feel for you and all your committments, but sounds like you have "your ducks in a row". Look forward to seeing the rest of the family pillow quilts.